Joann Henry, Ed.D., program director, began her educational career as a clerical secretary in Richmond Public Schools. She later transitioned to the corporate world, working numerous years for Ethyl Corporation. While gaining experience in the corporate world, she began to pursue her Bachelor Degree in Business Education at Virginia State University. After graduating with her Business Degree, she began teaching at the high school level in 1992; rising to the positions Cooperative Office Education Coordinator, and Department Chair for Richmond Public Schools for the next 12 years. In 2002, she earned a Masters in Business Education and Administration Supervision. Shortly thereafter, she began working as an assistant principal on the high school level. While serving in this capacity she observed a number of students were dropping out of high school and began working with those students after school to help them obtain their high school diplomas, all while working on her Doctorate. In 2008, she received her Doctoral Degree from Nova Southeastern University in Education Leadership. During the past eight years, she has worked as an adjunct associate professor at Virginia State University, and continues to work as part-time instructor at Virginia College and Executive Director of Dream Academy.
In 2010, she created Dream Academy Richmond for students who were failing and turned off by the traditional school setting. Using an approved curriculum from the Virginia Department of Education and is tailored for adults to obtain a high school diploma rather than a GED. This has caused many adults to understand that they can realize their dreams by completing the requirements to get a high school diploma.
Why Dream Academy?
- Our qualified, supportive, and nurturing instructors are committed to assist you;
- You can begin classes "immediately" with easy access to the online courses and, if necessary, come into the academy (a comfortable, stress-free working environment) for one-on-one tutoring sessions;
- You can receive an "actual" high school diploma within six (6) months of completion of courses;
- Our academy is conveniently located in Northside Richmond;
- We offer affordable payment plans; and
- Credit is awarded for work and life experience!
Board of Directors
Joann Henry, Ed.D.Director
Clarence McGill, Chairman
Jeroline Harris, Vice Chairwoman
Additional Board Members
Jeremy M. Lazarus
Renata Jones, Ph.D.
Pamela Smith, Ed.D.
Linda Gilliam, Ph.D.